English 102 Hot Topics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

a new danger

5 posters

Go down

a new danger Empty a new danger

Post  darci Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:44 am

Texting and Walking: Dangerous Mix

If you were to go to visit a shop on Brick Lane in London last Friday, you may have noticed something out of the ordinary. The lampposts were wrapped with thick, white rugby cushions to protect it's pedestrians. Apparently texting has become hazardous to the safety of the people. There have been several incidents and videos showing people texting and e-mailing on their cell phones and walking straight into sidewalk fixtures such as lampposts and trash bins. The fact that people are too wrapped up in writing to others on their phone that they can't lift up their heads to see what they are about to run into is hilarious. Advances in technology are entertaining. It used to be that simply being able to talk on a phone outside of a building was a luxury. Now talking isn't enough we have to be able to write and walk too: right into a white foam blob. It turned out that this was simply a publicity stunt, but it uncovered that nearly 6.5 million people have suffered injuries from texting and walking. The pads were removed leaving the safety of the people at risk.

darci

Back to top Go down

a new danger Empty Re: a new danger

Post  salsagirl Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:15 pm

This is really funny to me, however it is so true, people are so wrapped up with cellphones and texting these days. The do not pay attention to anything surrounding them that hurt them in a way. This is bad but what the worst is that there is no solution for this problem. No one can prevent people or tell them not to talk or text as much, and not to text and walk or drive. Therefore, I hope people think before they open up their cellphones to text someone and if there is anything urgent, the person should stop walking or driving and then text.

salsagirl

Back to top Go down

a new danger Empty Re: A New Danger

Post  showard1 Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:22 pm

I feel sorry for all those people that are so wrapped up in texting people and talking to people on the cell phone that they do not even think about their own safety. I find it hard to believe that people can walk into a lamp post without seeing it before they hit it. In my book, they deserve the injury that they receive. Maybe that will knock some sense into them and realize that the phone call or text could have probably waited until they got a few minutes to to a break. If they are doing it walking, what are they doing when they are driving?

showard1

Back to top Go down

a new danger Empty A New Danger

Post  Andrew Abeare Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:02 pm

I’ll admit that it sounds funny and I’d probably laugh at someone if I saw them walk into something while texting. However, I can picture something like that happening to me the next time I take out my cell phone in public so I’ll reserve judgment against the people that have done it. I’ll agree with the comment about driving, though. It seems like people get too wrapped up in communicating with everyone they can in the least amount of time, to the point where they’ll put themselves in harms way. That way of thinking doesn’t mix well with driving.

Andrew Abeare

Back to top Go down

a new danger Empty A New Danger

Post  kwest4 Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:46 pm

I find this to be hilarious. I guess not exactly true, but I defiantly don’t doubt that people have found themselves running into things because they were too preoccupied with their electronics. I do however hope that there is never a day where they do feel it is a necessity to put ‘bumpers’ on lampposts and other such objects. It is our own responsibility to pay attention to where we are walking. For those not smart enough to pay attention to where they are walking kind of deserve it. If they do it enough then maybe they will actually pay attention to where they are walking and stop causing other dangerous or just annoying situations for the rest of us.

kwest4

Back to top Go down

a new danger Empty Re: a new danger

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum