English 102 Hot Topics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Earth Hour

3 posters

Go down

Earth Hour Empty Earth Hour

Post  kwest4 Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:54 pm

http://green.yahoo.com/news/afp/20080328/wl_asia_afp/climatewarmingaustraliaearthhour.html

March 29 the lights are going to go out! At least in 26 major cities around the world that is. They have agreed to switch off the lights on major landmarks for an hour. The reason? In honor of earth day, and to bring more awareness to global warming. The founder of ‘Earth Hour’ is Andy Ridley and his hopes are not only to bring awareness to global warming, he hopes that individuals decide to participate as well.

The idea of shutting off the lights started last year with Sydney Australia, and it was picked up by 35 other countries over the past year. Although one hour without lights can save overall energy use for that day (more than 10 percent in the central business district of Sydney on last years event) it will not make a dent in global emission. Yet, they feel it is a great catalyst for a bigger and better change towards more efficient energy.

I think this is a great idea. I actually remember a special being done on it last year, showing the cities monuments lights being turned off. I thought it was pretty neat. I really hope that other cities start to pick up on it. I also think that all media news should update and educate us all on global warming and other efficient energy sources a little more often.

kwest4

Back to top Go down

Earth Hour Empty Re: Earth Hour

Post  Toby Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:12 pm

I think its a good idea to shut the power off in cities for an hour during one day. But what Im kind of confused about is what about the hospitals and stuff? do they know if all the hospitals and hospices have a backup generator? What about the people that are working on work or homework and they dont find out about turning off the power, and they are working on the computers and anybody can tell you that you run the risk of screwing up your computer if you dont have a backup battery or UPS. The stop lights, it just seems like theres too many bases that have to be covered. Its a good idea in theory, most things are good in theory but dont work. One example is communism, Im not a communist or anything but that started out good in theory but ended up not working out. Im just alittle concerned that they may have not thought this through enough

Toby

Back to top Go down

Earth Hour Empty RE: Earth Hour

Post  Eli Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:43 am

It might sound like a good idea to you but it show don't sounds like a good idea to me. If you live in the city of flint, do you really won't all lights to be cut off for an hour. It depends on what time of day that occurs because if it was done at night, there would be alot of break-in's in people's homes in some area's because there are some crazy people in the city of flint. It might sounds like a good idea to keep up with the tradition of the Earth, but now things changed in this century. If it does happened somewhere in Michigan or Flint at night or something, you better have a gun on you and be at your home for that hour.

Eli

Back to top Go down

Earth Hour Empty to clear things up

Post  kwest4 Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:06 pm

sorry to confuse some of you. the cities involved actually just turn off the power for monuments, and other buildings that are lit up at night. those that go without power are informed and it is a volunteered thing. i am pretty sure hospitals probably aren't involved. but as for kids doing homework and computers, i am pretty sure it is the businesses who voluntarily turn their power off for an hour, for those at home it is a choice. not just something that the city would decide and then just do on people without their knowledge or at all for that matter.

kwest4

Back to top Go down

Earth Hour Empty Re: Earth Hour

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down