English 102 Hot Topics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Foreign students no longer to get Michigan drivers licenses

+3
Jnord
Mystofflyn
Blondimom3
7 posters

Go down

Foreign students no longer to get Michigan drivers licenses Empty Foreign students no longer to get Michigan drivers licenses

Post  Blondimom3 Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:08 pm

Hmmm.... I dont agree with this decision. I think foreign students should be able to get a Michigan driver's license if they can prove citizenship here in the United States. How are these students supposed to get around and take care of things they need to without a car. In my opinion, I think it will result in alot more students driving without a license and then that will create more issues. I wonder how we would feel if for some reason we had to move to another country and we couldnt get a license there? I guess this plan is being protested by students and school officials. I understand our country's concern but geesh, a college kid trying to make something of himself and he cant even get a license. I can only wait to see what things will be like in 10 years. Maybe they could come up with a plan to issue temporary licenses?

Blondimom3

Back to top Go down

Foreign students no longer to get Michigan drivers licenses Empty Re: Foreign students no longer to get Michigan drivers licenses

Post  Mystofflyn Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:04 pm

Would you please post a link to the story? Are they saying why they won't give out liscences? Oh, and citezenship takes seven years minimum residency to obtain in the United states. Most aren't citizens, just legal aliens here for school. I do think it's wrong. If they go to driver's ed, and pass the test they should get a liscence the same as us. But I don't think we should just say "Here you go" when they get off the plane. They need to know the laws the same as we do, but they have to learn them first. It's only safe.

Mystofflyn

Back to top Go down

Foreign students no longer to get Michigan drivers licenses Empty This is a Hot Topic

Post  Jnord Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:02 am

I do not know about this topic. I mean they are trying to do the best thing for the United States citizens to make them feel safe. There are other ways of getting around besides having a license. There are buses, bikes, and taxis. If it is a college student anyway they do not need a car when there are bikes and buses, it will save them money in the long run. This is a long stretch to say that they cannot have them but I think that they have to do something to make people feel safe. The world today is out of control and if this is what they have to do to feel safe so be it

Jnord

Back to top Go down

Foreign students no longer to get Michigan drivers licenses Empty RE:Foreign Students no longer to get Michigan driver license

Post  Eli Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:03 am

I disagree on that because if they get accepted into Michigan or the border or whatever you what to call, that would be unfair to them that they can't get aound from palce to place real good. Think about it, who want to be getting rides from someone to just get to work or anywhere. I know i wouldn't. Who would like to be catching the bus every day, when its real hot or real cold. Or even trying to catch a cab through the week spending up all of your money day by day. So all i am saying is that they got accepted in this area, so they need to get the same privileges as everyone else in this area.

Eli

Back to top Go down

Foreign students no longer to get Michigan drivers licenses Empty Re: Foreign students no longer to get Michigan drivers licenses

Post  Andrew Bailey Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:09 pm

I agree that its wrong for them to not allow foreign students to recieve a drivers license just because they are not from here. I could understand if for some reason they were not able to meet the requirements but if someone is fully capable of driving why should they be denied, unless of course they have had previous charges to revoke their license. I know what its like for a college student to not have a license as I did not have mine for several months. It is hard to get around places without asking people for rides and when its winter, there is no way I would see anyone riding a bike. Calling for a cab or catching the bus can take time and disrupt daily planning as they could take extra time out of your day when you had to be somewhere on somebody else's schedule and not your own. Foreign students deserve to have a license until they are proven to not be capable of driving properly.

Andrew Bailey

Back to top Go down

Foreign students no longer to get Michigan drivers licenses Empty Foreign students

Post  Andrew Abeare Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:36 pm

I can’t find the article so I don’t understand the specific details, foreign students are completely barred from taking the driving test in Michigan? I know some countries give temporary permits to foreigners based on which country they are from, wherever the driving laws are similar. Other foreigners have to take driving tests so they can be rewarded a license. To me, it seems perfectly acceptable that if I were to go to school in another country, that I would be able to take a test if I wanted a license. I wouldn’t trust myself if I had to drive on the left side of the road without practicing it anyway. So if Michigan is completely barring foreign students from taking the driving test at all, then I think that is unfair.

Andrew Abeare

Back to top Go down

Foreign students no longer to get Michigan drivers licenses Empty Foreign students no longer to get Michigan drivers licenses

Post  kwest4 Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:32 pm

I would have to say that I agree with the decision not to let foreign exchange students get a Michigan drivers license. For many other countries a license isn’t obtained until the age of 18. How would they be able to get a drivers license if they haven’t taken any form or drivers training? I wouldn’t feel too comfortable with that. Plus there are plenty of other ways to get around, as someone has mentioned. Including getting rides from people they know, it’s called carpooling. Granted I still don’t really know what the original article said. But, based on what is there, that is my educated opinion.

kwest4

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down