English 102 Hot Topics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Man With Living Twin Inside Him

4 posters

Go down

Man With Living Twin Inside Him Empty Man With Living Twin Inside Him

Post  Eli Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:10 am

Man With Twin Living Inside Him -- A Medical Mystery Classic Another Person Lived Inside a Man for Nearly Four Decades For nearly four decades, Bhagat carried the body of his twin. (ABC News) Aug. 23, 2006 Share Sanju Bhagat's stomach was once so swollen he looked nine months pregnant and could barely breathe. Living in the city of Nagpur, India, Bhagat said he'd felt self-conscious his whole life about his big belly. But one night in June 1999, his problem erupted into something much larger than cosmetic worry.(Related Stories)
War in the Womb When Body Turns to BoneTop Health stories FDA Probing Possible Link Between Asthma Drug and Suicidal BehaviorCancer-Tobacco Scandal Causes FirestormLife Without Limbs: It's All in the Attitude An ambulance rushed the 36-year-old farmer to the hospital. Doctors thought he might have a giant tumor, so they decided to operate and remove the source of the bulge in his belly. "Basically, the tumor was so big that it was pressing on his diaphragm and that's why he was very breathless," said Dr. Ajay Mehta of Tata Memorial Hospital in Mumbai. "Because of the sheer size of the tumor, it makes it difficult [to operate]. We anticipated a lot of problems." Mehta said that he can usually spot a tumor just after he begins an operation. But while operating on Bhagat, Mehta saw something he had never encountered. As he cut deeper into Bhagat's stomach, gallons of fluid spilled out -- and then something extraordinary happened. "To my surprise and horror, I could shake hands with somebody inside," he said. "It was a bit shocking for me."
Removing the Mutated Body, One doctor recalled that day in the operating room.
"He just put his hand inside and he said there are a lot of bones inside," she said. "First, one limb came out, then another limb came out. Then some part of genitalia, then some part of hair, some limbs, jaws, limbs, hair." Inside Bhagat's stomach was a strange, half-formed creature that had feet and hands that were very developed. Its fingernails were quite long. "We were horrified. We were confused and amazed," Mehta said.
A Mutated Body Within a Body
At first glance, it may look as if Bhagat had given birth. Actually, Mehta had removed the mutated body of Bhagat's twin brother from his stomach. Bhagat, they discovered, had one of the world's most bizarre medical conditions -- fetus in fetu. It is an extremely rare abnormality that occurs when a fetus gets trapped inside its twin. The trapped fetus can survive as a parasite even past birth by forming an umbilical cordlike structure that leaches its twin's blood supply until it grows so large that it starts to harm the host, at which point doctors usually intervene. According to Mehta, there are fewer than 90 cases of fetus in fetu recorded in medical literature. I would have been scared to walk around with my stomach looking like that, with a person in my stomach as a male. I would have been sick and scared to death. God Bless that man for holding up that long with his stomach like that with a living creature developing inside. Check out the picture.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=2346476&page=1

Eli

Back to top Go down

Man With Living Twin Inside Him Empty re: man with living twin inside him

Post  Lsweet1 Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:41 pm

I know he had to be scared and worried out of his mind not knowing what was going on with his stomach. confused I would never amagine something like that happening. I know he was sick having another body inside of him, not being able to breath properly getting infected from the bones. And far as the doctor doing the operation. I wonder how he felt to open up his stomach and see another person inside of a man. I mean actually pulling out bones, pieces of hair and genetiles. I would never want to become a doctor because they have seen it all.

Lsweet1

Back to top Go down

Man With Living Twin Inside Him Empty Re: Man With Living Twin Inside Him

Post  showard1 Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:03 pm

That is kind of hard to believe that someone could have something growing inside them for all those years and not going to the doctor and finding out that there was something in his stomach. There was probably some movement of some sort along the way or a bulge here or there. I know that even a catch in my rib I think what is wrong. I do not run to the doctor's for any little pain but I think before he got to be as old as he was he noticed something.I wonder, did they even suspect his mother of having twins while she was pregnant?

showard1

Back to top Go down

Man With Living Twin Inside Him Empty man living with twin inside

Post  kwest4 Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:04 pm

It is so crazy that this man had his twin inside him for 36 years and not knowing it. I have never even heard of this condition before, it’s kind of interesting. Considering he was from India I can see why he did not receive medical attention. But from the picture it seriously did look at least 9 months pregnant. I guess based off of other cases it is crazy that he lived this long with his twin inside him, considering in most cases they both die before birth. This definitely is a medical marvel.
It is however said that he was teased and ridiculed for his whole life, for looking pregnant. He most have gone through so much. I could not imagine, a man being “pregnant” and no one making fun of him, or staring at him. It must have been really rough. Luckily he now doesn’t have to deal with it, and that he is also healthy now.

kwest4

Back to top Go down

Man With Living Twin Inside Him Empty Re: Man With Living Twin Inside Him

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down