English 102 Hot Topics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

China demands apology from CNN over comments

Go down

China demands apology from CNN over comments Empty China demands apology from CNN over comments

Post  Andrew Abeare Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:54 pm

China demands apology from CNN over comments

This is the first I’ve heard of this story and I haven’t seen the show mentioned in the article where the comments were made. CNN commentator Jack Cafferty made questionable remarks about China, and more importantly Chinese people, on the news program "The Situation Room.” China has in turn demanded an apology from Cafferty and CNN. The most questionable comment from Cafferty was, "So I think our relationship with China has certainly changed," he continued. "I think they're basically the same bunch of goons and thugs they've been for the last 50 years." Later, he clarified that he was speaking only in regards to China’s government. Of course, with some of the potentially racist comments that television and radio personalities have accidentally let out in the recent past, it’s hard to say what his comments were really aimed at. Because of the negative press that China has been getting recently with the dangerous products and problems in Tibet, I can see how his comments would be aimed only at the government. On the other hand, I can still see how the comments can be offensive to Chinese people. The article doesn’t mention if an apology was ever issued, but I would like to see an apology for the sake of not making relations with China worse.

Andrew Abeare

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum