English 102 Hot Topics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Highest paid linemen as a rookie

3 posters

Go down

Highest paid linemen as a rookie Empty Highest paid linemen as a rookie

Post  Jnord Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:54 am

In my research paper I wrote how nfl rookies are paid way too much way too early in their careers. The last two drafts prove my point perfectly. Jamarcuss Russell last year became one of the top ten highest paid players in the nfl before he even took a single snap. He could have signed for less money but no he sat out for all of training camp so he could make 60 million dollars. Just yesterday before he was even drafted number one; the dolphins drafted Jake long out of the university of Michigan. Well the draft isn’t until Saturday but they got the contract done so he would not hold out. In this contract jake receives 57.75 million dollars for 5 years, 30 million is guaranteed. This is the most outrageous thing ever; He becomes the highest paid offensive linemen in the NFL without eve playing a game or being proven. What a gamble this is, why put so much money into a player when they can end up being a dud like so many other first rounder’s have.
The draft and the first round picks are so notorious for being bad that they have made a show on espn called top ten draft busts. They are all mostly the number one over all pick because teams have so many players to choose from and they choose these crappy players. I think it is ridiculous and I don’t know it just makes me so mad to see the NFL get screwed by rookie while the nba NHL and MLB all have rookie set salaries. They should take a look at the past and get a clue as to how to pay rookies and save themselves some money.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/news/story?id=3358424

Jnord

Back to top Go down

Highest paid linemen as a rookie Empty Re: Highest paid linemen as a rookie

Post  sneubauer Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:01 am

The money factor is sick. Rookies are paid too much money. I know that I am comparing apples to oranges here but look at Lebron James he got an 80 million dollar deal and a shoe contract before he even picked up a basket ball to go pro. In fact I hate all of the money in professional sports. How is it that a nurse who saves peoples lives will live a middle class life yet for playing a sport the world is at your fingertips? I guess priorities. I do agree not just rookies in general are paid too much money but professional sports are paid too much.

sneubauer

Back to top Go down

Post  Jnord Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:10 am

lebron didnt get a 80 million dolalr deal from his team before he played. he got a 99 million dollar deal from nike. The nba has a rookie cap that pays them less than 12 million dollars for 3 years of basketball. Which is fair. This is a proving time to see if you want to sign that player for the long run. After that third year yes he signed a huge contract, but the nfl is way behind them is rookie contracts. they are the only sport without a cap. but lebron was human in contract ways his first 3 years as a rookie.

Jnord

Back to top Go down

Highest paid linemen as a rookie Empty RE:Highest paid linemen as a rookie

Post  Eli Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:24 am

I totally agree with you on that man. That's a lot of money to put on someone who just started, but the point is he never played a game yet and they are already guaranteed to him that he would get 30 million dollars for playing in the NFL. I think that they should let him play in a game first with some pro NFL players and them have a meeting deciding on what they should give him. Thats just a little over the board to give him that much money like that. They could have gave some of that money to the poor or something. You had a good point there bro.

Eli

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum