English 102 Hot Topics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steroids in Baseball

+2
kmouser
Jnord
6 posters

Go down

Steroids in Baseball Empty Steroids in Baseball

Post  Jnord Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:50 am

Today in baseball everyone is on the hot button topic of steroids. They say that it is cheating and that it should be banned from baseball. They say it is diminishing baseball and the game has changed. I do not see it like this. They say that baseball is for entertainment. Why is it wrong that some people take steroids? They say it is not fair to the teams who do not have players on them on their team. Well if they made it so it didn’t matter it would all be fair. There are people who have taken steroids that are not good at baseball. You have to have skills at baseball to be good; steroids do not make you good at baseball. There are also guys, who take it to heal faster; there is nothing wrong with wanting to be healthy to make a paycheck. Saying that Barry Bonds record should have an asterisk next to it is preposterous. He is a remarkable athlete who accomplished a great feat. There is no proof as of yet that he has taken steroids. There are allegations but people every day get wrongly accused of things that have not done.

There is the topic of Chris Benoit though. People say that the steroids he took caused him to go crazy and kill his family. That is not entirely true; they said he had huge black spots on his brain from concussions that he received from his job. So with this information I do not think that steroids should be banned from profession baseball. It is a non violent sport and it is all for entertainment anyways.
Steroids in Baseball

Jnord

Back to top Go down

Steroids in Baseball Empty steriods arent fair

Post  kmouser Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:13 am

When it comes to taking steroids it has been proven that it has harmful effects to the body in the long run. So to say that it should be ok for players to take them is not fair to the other teams and play that aren’t. Why should a player have to ruin his body just to keep up with the players who are taking them? Barry bonds record should have an asterisk by until he is proven guilty or not guilty. Hank Arron never took steroids and he earned his home run record why would it be ok to let a player who is cheating have that record when he did not earn it.

kmouser

Back to top Go down

Steroids in Baseball Empty congress involvement

Post  Mystofflyn Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:33 am

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=4139662

Ok, now I am really disturbed that my hard-earned money is going into sterioid investigations in the MLB.

To sum up, some jocks are juicing up, and trying to hide it, and now congress is investigating it. Whaaa? Now I may be mistaken, but isn't the MLB a private company with private investors owning individual teams? Since when should I be paying for that? I don't even watch sports. I hate most sports (tennis, golf, and snowboarding I have a weakness for) so why the heck should my tax dollars be going to investigate this? That would be similar to me paying for investigations into wal-mart's bagger's coming in hung over and not bagging efficantly. Does the government get involved in that?

My husband thinks I'm nuts, but every night this is on the news I end up hollering at the television. Sports are entertainment, not life and death situations. Cut the funding to crap like this and spend it elsewhere.

Mystofflyn

Back to top Go down

Steroids in Baseball Empty Not private

Post  Jnord Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:38 am

The Detroit Tigers are not a private organization neither is the MLB. They all have sponsors. If you look at all of the sponsor boards around the ballpark, they have many sponsors making a lot of money. I do not get it either though. That’s why I think they should just stop caring about the steroid use in baseball.
How would anyone know is Hank Aaron was not using steroids? Did they have testing back then? There should be no marks next to his records. Barry Bonds is an amazing athlete and he deserves to have all the records he broke.

Jnord

Back to top Go down

Steroids in Baseball Empty Re: Steroids in Baseball

Post  Toby Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:38 am

Ok first of all I was a big fan of Chris Benoit, RIP. I dont think he would have killed his family if he wasnt taking steroids. Steroids is a hot button issue today. Since you dont think that steroids ban do u honestly want killers to walk our streets? This is not an attack Im just asking a simple question so please dont get offended.

Science has actually proven that steroids can make a baseball player good. Alot of people say so what if it increases your strength it cant improver your reaction time or your chances of hitting the ball and science has actually proven that whole idea wrong. I dont think its right to have steroids around. PCP can improve someones strength and make them crazy just like steroids does that mean we should inject every athelete with PCP? of course not, so why should they be taking stereroids?

Ok another one of your points is that you think that since it improves their healing time that there healthy to make a pay checks, thats wrong too Steroids affect your heart, they increase the size of the heart and you dont want your heart to get bigger it decreases its function, thats how Eddie Gurrero died, RIP. And you ask if its right to take steroids to keep get healthy to keep a paycheck. But when you really think about it yeah there healiing so they can do there job but just think about this there actually taking money away from others who arent taking steroids because the guys who arent on dont get as many homeruns meaning that there likely hood of getting paid as much as a guy who can hit homeruns everyday is very low. And steroids are ruining the reputation of baseball meaning they will have less fans which that is less revenue and the players wont get paid as much.

Im sorry if you feel like this is an attack but its not, I just have a really strong opinion on this subject.

Toby

Back to top Go down

Steroids in Baseball Empty Re:Steroids in Baseball

Post  Eli Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:42 am

I think that is kind of true because it kind of look like it makes them stronger so they can hit a lot of home runs to make more money I guess but I don't know much about basement if they make more money or not, but all I'm am saying is that It should be illegal to used steriods in any sport because its a big cheat and its not fair for others who do use it. Its abusing their bodies, and some people over do it and look real stupid. Like those body builders, big bodies and little heads and makes them look rediculous.

Eli

Back to top Go down

Post  Jnord Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:48 am

It may make them stronger bus does it make them have better ahnd i cordination?i dont think so.
And it does make then HEAL faster. i did not mean to say make them healthy because it does kill your body. But it is their body they are killing and not anyone else.

You cannot say Chris B would not have killed his family if it wasnt for steroids. you do not know that. He huge gaps on his brain were a huge part of what was wrong with that guy. im just saying it is impossible to say that steroids made chris kill his family.

Jnord

Back to top Go down

Steroids in Baseball Empty Steroids in Baseball

Post  sneubauer Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:30 pm

Steroids ues shouldn’t be as easy to get away with. Not just the fact that they are an illegal performance enhancing drug, but, it harms the individual taking the substance. I know where you are coming from and that baseball is entertainment, and, it makes it more exciting to see players hit the long ball. Roids may make a player heal faster but that still doen't make it ok. In fact, I think there should be more testing of the players for the use of steroids. Players that use steroids to enhance their performance are cheating! The benefits of steroids can’t be naturally gained, and any way you slice it, because steroid use isn’t natural it is cheating. Not only that, the effects or roids are widely known, such as roid rage and the substances turn into tumors in the later stages in life.

sneubauer

Back to top Go down

Post  Mystofflyn Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:32 pm

Jnord wrote:The Detroit Tigers are not a private organization neither is the MLB. They all have sponsors. If you look at all of the sponsor boards around the ballpark, they have many sponsors making a lot of money. I do not get it either though. That’s why I think they should just stop caring about the steroid use in baseball.
yes, they are privately owned. Mike Illich owns them, the Red wings, and little Caesars. They are not government sponsered or traded in the stock market. The sponsors are not owners, they are advertisers, like on television. Budweiser doesn't own ABC, but they sponsor it by advertising on the station. The stockholders own ABC. that makes it public.

Mystofflyn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum