English 102 Hot Topics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

“Obesity now a lifestyle choice for Americans”

3 posters

Go down

“Obesity now a lifestyle choice for Americans” Empty “Obesity now a lifestyle choice for Americans”

Post  BCheely Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:43 am

This article discusses a book recently published about how obesity is shifting from being seen as a bad thing into a conscious decision that people make. It seems absurd to think that someone would actually want to be obese, but is it really such a surprise that more and more people are becoming that way? Granted there are medical reasons for certain individuals to be unable to lose weight, but our society has taken a big step in the last few years towards encouraging this lifestyle.

Celebrities like Mo’nique (Imes) are advertising that being “big and beautiful” is a great thing. I agree with the opinion that “big” people can be beautiful, but she seems to be someone who is pushing that more people should WANT to be obese. The fashion industry has been looked down upon for years for promoting an unhealthy low weight, so why is it ok for others to promote an unhealthy high weight?

It’s definitely a step in the right direction for society to support that being different is ok, but I don’t think being overweight shouldn’t be encouraged. There is new technology that assists people who want to be lazy, there are new cures for diseases that are caused by being obese, and now there are people in the public eye that endorse being overweight. For whatever reason, it’s no shock that the number of obese Americans is dramatically higher than it was 50 years ago.
Obesity now a 'lifestyle' choice for Americans, expert says

BCheely

Back to top Go down

“Obesity now a lifestyle choice for Americans” Empty “Obesity now a lifestyle choice for Americans”

Post  lbourgeau Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:14 pm

This is like the new thing in the media, entertainment and whatnot maybe because diets now are the old and the new is just looking beautiful and chubby, not even arguing with the audience but agreeing this is completely healthy. Ha, honestly this doesn't even sound right I agree with you-
I find it interesting now that I turn on the television and there are particular commercials that are all about eating a full healthy meal (Lean Cuisine), instead of dieting that can "hurt" you. That sounds a lot better to me, but it will effect quite a few companies sponsoring the "South Beach Diet," and etc.
The healthy message that I think people want to enjoy being healthy and taking steps to improving not only your health but your attitude, living and stress pretty much effect how you eat as well. There more then enough to consider here, even with all these new fatty foods. We just have to take responsibility and management of our lives. I admit it's really hard to "just be happy and healthy for living a long life."

lbourgeau

Back to top Go down

Post  kwest4 Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:18 pm

I would have to agree that to a certain extent being obese has become a conscious choice, yet I feel there are other reasons. I don’t feel their entail reaction is that they want to be/or stay obese. I think many get discouraged in the struggle to lose weight, have a better diet, exercise, or become overall healthier and end it with just giving up. With anyone trying to diet it is hard. And if it is wanted to be done the healthy way it is even harder. It’s a long and hard process. I think our culture is so bent on seeing results fast, that it’s hard to continue something when you are not seeing quick enough results. And as the article says it requires too many lifestyle changes. Many don’t see that as a priority sometimes.
I myself find it sad that it comes to making the easier of the choices. I would have to say I think most are accepting the fact that they are obese, not necessarily choosing to be obese.

kwest4

Back to top Go down

“Obesity now a lifestyle choice for Americans” Empty Re: “Obesity now a lifestyle choice for Americans”

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum