English 102 Hot Topics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Democrats say plan would cut teen pregnancy

3 posters

Go down

Democrats say plan would cut teen pregnancy Empty Democrats say plan would cut teen pregnancy

Post  Lsweet1 Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:23 pm

Democratic State lawmakers are introducing legislation they say would cut down on unintended pregnancies and protect women's health by expanding sex education and improving access to contraceptives. Health insurance plans that cover prescriptions would have to include coverage for contraceptions. Women who are sexually assaulted would be offered information about and access to emergency contraception. Some of the ideas aren't new and others have drawn opposition in the past, including from some conservative lawmakers and religious groups. Supporters of the plan say they hope they will reach a broad agreement on the legislation, most of which will be introduced in both the state House and Senate.Supporters cited studies saying that nearly half of pregnancies among U.S. women are unintended. Improved education and access to birth control would help cut down on unintended pregnancies and abortions, as well as secually transmitted diseases, lawmakers said while detailing the legislation Monday at the state Capitol. In a study released last month, researchers at the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found at least one in four teenage American girls has a sexually transmitted disease. The most common is a virus that can cause cervical cancer. There's only one way to change these numbers, and that's by prevention.

Lsweet1

Back to top Go down

Democrats say plan would cut teen pregnancy Empty Re: Democrats say plan would cut teen pregnancy

Post  Jnord Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:58 am

Of course most of the teen pregnancies are unintended. Who wants to be pregnant when they are a teenager. Teens are have sex right now and they will not stop for anything. IF they are scared to go buy condoms they will just pull out and think that they are being safe. Tell me one teen that tried to get pregnant on purpose. I mean there are rapes that aren’t their fault but most of them are having willful sex and they should take the responsibility of buying condoms or getting birth control. This law would help keep teens from getting pregnant but it will not slow down how much they have sex by talking to them about it.

Jnord

Back to top Go down

Democrats say plan would cut teen pregnancy Empty Democrats say plan would cut teen pregnancy

Post  kwest4 Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:34 pm

i think it will interesting to see if this has any effect on the numbers. it could possibly help. i feel like in school they should have a better sex education class, whether parents feel its acceptable or not. just because they aren't getting "educated" about it doesn't mean they dont know about it and aren't having it. many of them are having sex so they should at least be a little better educated about the topic, know all their options. i hope the new legislation buffs this department up along with better access to contraceptives.

kwest4

Back to top Go down

Democrats say plan would cut teen pregnancy Empty Re: Democrats say plan would cut teen pregnancy

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum