English 102 Hot Topics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Global warming costing $20 trillion

3 posters

Go down

Global warming costing $20 trillion Empty Global warming costing $20 trillion

Post  kwest4 Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:54 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080130/ap_on_re_ca/un_global_warming

The U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has warned that global warming could cost up to $20 trillion world wide over the next two decades. The goal would be to cut down on emissions and for cleaner energy sources. There will be a two day General Assembly for the U.N., in Mid-February, to discuss a policy on climate. The plan is that this climate policy will replace the Kyoto Protocol treaty, when it expires in 2012. For being the only major industrial country to reject the Kyoto Protocol treaty, the U.S. has much of the focus. The goal of the meeting, and new policy, is not only to take responsibility for what we are doing to the environment but to cut back on emissions, invent new technologies, renewable resources, investing more in research and development.

I think it is great that the U.N. is having a meeting over the global warming issue, and exploring the solutions to counter-act what is being done to the environment. $20 trillion does sound that a large amount of money, but it’s world wide costs and it is important that we start to do something about this issue. What concerns me was finding out that we did not agree to the Kyoto Protocol treaty. Now I don’t know exactly what it entailed, but it is disappointing that there are other counties taking action to better off the environment, and the most developed county (U.S) is not doing anything about it.

kwest4

Back to top Go down

Global warming costing $20 trillion Empty Global Warming

Post  sneubauer Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:09 pm

Global Warming is fake. The earth’s atmosphere and climate conditions have and always will have natural cycles. I don’t want to bring this back but in the 1970’s tree hugging environmentalists cried “Global Cooling”! It doesn’t even seem legitimate to put an estimated dollar amount on this so called crisis. How is that possible? The cost of switching this and that is ridiculous. I am all for clean renewable energy and not polluting as long as it is reasonably preventable. There really in my opinion aren’t any signs of global warming. As of 5:00 pm February, 10 2008 it was 0 degrees and the windshield was even lower. Sounds like a hoax. The U.S doesn’t need to bury its self into this nonsense.

sneubauer

Back to top Go down

Global warming costing $20 trillion Empty Global Warming

Post  Andrew Abeare Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:15 pm

I really don’t know a whole lot about global warming or greenhouse gases. Maybe it is the nature of the Earth to go through cycles in this way. However, it seems that things such as the Kyoto Protocol do address pollution issues. I think everyone can agree that pollution causes a lot of problems in the world with health and other things. I personally don’t have enough knowledge to determine if pollution causes climate and atmospheric changes, but I do think it is important to try to limit it, so it does make me wonder why the U.S. originally rejected the treaty.

Andrew Abeare

Back to top Go down

Global warming costing $20 trillion Empty Re: Global warming costing $20 trillion

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum