English 102 Hot Topics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

America's most miserable cities

+4
darci
Andrew Bailey
Jnord
kwest4
8 posters

Go down

America's most miserable cities Empty America's most miserable cities

Post  kwest4 Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:57 pm

http://promo.realestate.yahoo.com/americas-most-miserable-cities.html

The article explains which cities in America are the most miserable, based on violent crime, unemployment, commute, weather, superfund sites, and income tax rates. It starts out by saying “imagine living in a city with the country's highest rate for violent crime and the second-highest unemployment rate.” What is funny about that is the fact that we are number there with that situation.
It is sad to see Flint at the top of the nasty lists still. We were found to be number three as the most miserable cities, and not to far away from us, Detroit as number one. It is so disappointing to hear that we are still up there with violent crime and unemployment. Yet, still not to my surprise, and I’m sure many others. It would still be nice to get us out of this rut, which brings me to the auto industry. I find it so frustrating the much of it has to do with foreign countries taking our business. I highly dislike that fact that so many foreign cars are sold here, but that much of our companies are outsourcing jobs that should be for Americans, and using cheaper countries for labor costs.

kwest4

Back to top Go down

America's most miserable cities Empty its true

Post  Jnord Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:31 am

I would not want to live in flint or Detroit. All you hear is bad stuff out of these two places. I mean they aren’t even very clean places. There is trash all over the place. In flint there are poor people walking all round asking for money. What does this show for flint?
There are stories about women being attacked at the mall. Well that doesn’t really make people want to come visit flint. This place is going down hill an no one can revive it. What is there to do?
Detroit has so many houses that are abandoned and disgusting. People were scared to come here for the super bowl. Michigan needs to do something or it will never want to live here again.

Jnord

Back to top Go down

America's most miserable cities Empty Re: America's most miserable cities

Post  Andrew Bailey Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:50 pm

Sadly the major drive for both Flint and Detroit were automotive factories and related jobs. When they started getting replaced by machines and jobs outsourced things went bad. Although the numbers show some pretty bad stuff I really dont think things are as bad as they say. Certain parts are really bad but I've lived in Flint for the past 21 years, my entire life, I have relatives in Detroit and surrounding areas as well. The bad reputation is something that I've been asked about alot when I hang out with people that are not from the area. It all depends on where you go because some places are very bad but not everywhere, they just lump the entire city together though. The state and city governments do need to get their stuff together, there needs to be jobs and a new way to improve the economy before Michigan gets out of the gutter it has fallen into.

Andrew Bailey

Back to top Go down

America's most miserable cities Empty it's sad

Post  darci Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:44 pm

It's sad to think that no one wants to visit two of our major cities because they are so unappealing. What does this say for our state in general? We can't keep our cities clean and supply jobs for our people to bring ourselves out of this hole we have been in. Instead Michigan digs it deeper and seen there will be no turning back. Along with the most miserable cities record, a few years ago Michigan was voted number one state with the worst economy.

darci

Back to top Go down

Post  Toby Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:11 pm

you know its sad but you really have to look at it from an optumist persons point of view at least flint and detroit are in the top 5 of something... no seriously its bad its horrible what a dangerous poor place I live in... The whole country is in a recession all of our jobs are going overseas especially the automotive industry so its no suprise that flint and detroit would be on there as far as unemployment and income and money stuff and everyone knows that when there are a large group of poor people violent crime or crime in general goes up, it all has to do with the idiot in the whitehouse and idiots buying foreign cars, bucnh of dumbasses if I say so myself

Toby

Back to top Go down

America's most miserable cities Empty what can michiganians do?

Post  lbourgeau Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:19 pm

I heard these cities of Michigan were once thriving and beautiful once, what really happened and why can't we revive that still? I as born here, my family lives here, I don't want to leave them-I know this is rather sad, everyone knows Michigan is the worst-I'm mad at our governor, but she is helping big businesses. Why cant we find the financial uprising we are looking for? How would we get out of this mess, I can't take the way education is expensive here, in Europe it's all free. We need a new system or plan for sure, I'm moving out, I can't stand all this stress. People should take action for once, I agree definitely.

lbourgeau

Back to top Go down

America's most miserable cities Empty Michigan

Post  sneubauer Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:18 pm

I am disappointed about the economy here in Michigan. We all know that we were the pioneer of the automobile and now that those jobs are being shipped to Mexico and China we are left with nothing. As a result of poverty the crime rate soars because no one has any money. I am 18 and have searched for a job for nearly a year and got nothing. The unemployment rate is God awful. Genesee County has the highest rate in the country at 8.5%! There are so many people applying for the same job. My best advice for Michiganders is get out while you still can! Things are not looking good and until another major industry rolls into town the situation will be the same.

sneubauer

Back to top Go down

Post  kmckinsey Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:53 am

hmmm the countries didn't really take anything.

American gave it everything. We went over there ( China for example) and now they don't want us there, they have our industry. We knew it was coming. Just big industries hungry for a buck.

kmckinsey

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum