English 102 Hot Topics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another University Shooting!!!

+3
Andrew Abeare
showard1
salsagirl
7 posters

Go down

Another University Shooting!!! Empty Another University Shooting!!!

Post  salsagirl Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:12 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/14/university.shooting/index.html

So I guess this is not going to end, last year it was at Virginia Tech and this year is at Northern Illinois University.
A gunman dressed in black stepped from behind a curtain at the front of a large lecture hall at Northern Illinois University today and shot 21 people, five of them died, and then he shot and killed himself. Four died at the scene, including the shooter, and two later died at the hospital.
The gunman started shooting from a stage in the room shortly after 3 p.m (4 p.m. ET).
"He just kicked the door open, just started shooting," said McEnery, who was in the class at the time. "All I really heard was just people screaming, yelling 'get out.' ... Close to 30 shots were fired."
Security around campus was increased in December when police found threats scrawled on a campus bathroom wall that included racial slurs and references to last April's Virginia Tech shootings. I guess with all of that security and being cautious they were not able to stop the gunman. The universities around the country did not learn a lesson obviously after the tragedy of Virginia Tech.
This is a very serious issue and universities, colleges and schools should really increase their security systems.

salsagirl

Back to top Go down

Another University Shooting!!! Empty Another University Shooting

Post  showard1 Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:11 am

[url][/url]
I can not believe it. How many of these senseless shootings are going to go on before
something can be done to make these universities, colleges, and schools safe for the
students. It is a shame when you have these students that actually want to make something of their lives and have to do it with the fear of wondering is their class will be the next target. I really feel sorry for those students and their families. I just can't imagine what they are going through. I hope they can past this and get on with their studies without too much trouble. Good Luck!

showard1

Back to top Go down

Another University Shooting!!! Empty Another Shooting

Post  Andrew Abeare Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:08 pm

Another tragedy involving someone with guns who shouldn’t have had access to them. It’s hard to say what universities can do to prevent this from happening. They can increase security, but it’s not always realistic to have constant security at every corner all over campus and who knows if it would even prevent something like this. It’s just really unfortunate that a person like this could obtain those kinds of weapons with the intent of killing people in what should be a safe environment. With any luck this won’t become more frequent, because the first time was one too many.

Andrew Abeare

Back to top Go down

Post  kwest4 Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:24 pm

When I got home last Thursday I was shocked to hear that there was another school shooting from my brother. Yet, I found myself even more shocked when I read the article posted on yahoo. This isn’t just an unusual occurrence, at the end of the article it mentioned that this was the fourth shooting this week! I couldn’t believe. I just seems now that we tend to hear about the bigger shootings that end up killing or injuring several. What frustrates me the most is how easy it is for anyone to be able to get a gun. The excuse for protection seems to be back firing. I feel there needs to be much stronger gun laws, I feel guns are more of the problem (causing a threat) rather than a solution to possible threat.
Also when it comes to the safety of schools and universities it is hard to say to what extent we should go to, to keep students safe. If we went completely overboard, it would actually cause a feeling of worry and the thought of a threat. High security would be a constant reminder. I feel like no matter how much you plan for something people who do something like that are completely unpredictable.

kwest4

Back to top Go down

Post  abuaita Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:29 pm

I guess this became a habit or a method for certain people to prove a point. It is absolutely the most terrible and terrifying way to do so. I agree with you that universities, collage and schools should increase their security systems greatly. If a student is having an issue or a problem he/she should approach the appropriate people to assist him or her. I believe that each problem got a solution somewhere; it is just a matter of finding it

abuaita

Back to top Go down

Another University Shooting!!! Empty Re: Another University Shooting!!!

Post  Jnord Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:36 am

The thing I really cant understand about this one is that the person who shot up the school was already graduated. I mean did he just miss college life so much that he couldn’t bear to live without it? I mean what would drive a kid who already had his degree in what ever he wanted it in come back and ruin his life? You go to college to get a degree so you can leave and get a job. Am I correct? This is why I am just so confused with this guy. Tet maybe he was having so much fun that he didn’t want to leave or that he just got made fun of. I don’t no

Jnord

Back to top Go down

Another University Shooting!!! Empty RE: Another University Shooting

Post  Eli Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:57 pm

My reply to that is that i think thats really bad to have shootings at school, and then at a college where people are trying to get a better education to make some money. I think that's just bad. My opinion to all college's is for them to start getting metal detectors at each door so no one can come in with their weapons. If not metal detectors, they should all have security gaurds standing at each door you enter and just check them for any drugs or weapons to just be on the safe side of all students.

Eli

Back to top Go down

Another University Shooting!!! Empty Re: Another University Shooting!!!

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum