English 102 Hot Topics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Choking Game

+3
Andrew Abeare
Toby
darci
7 posters

Go down

Choking Game Empty Choking Game

Post  darci Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:37 pm

CDC: 'Choking Game' Kills 82 Kids

There is a rising fad that is now linked to the fatalities of eighty-two children between the ages of six and nineteen. What is it? A choking game. Since the year 1992 through 2007 there have been eighty known deaths from this cause. This may seem to be an insignificantly small number, but the cause of these deaths is really the scary part. In this game children use cords, leashes, and other objects, sometimes even a person’s hands, to choke themselves to cut off blood flow to their heads in hopes to achieve a dreamlike goal where they feel as though they are floating.
This choking game is not as uncommon as it may seem and that is where my worry lies. These deaths have been reported across thirty-one states and the source relies only on media ties. A chief medical examiner said that there are likely more than one hundred deaths yearly as result of the choking game. I know for a fact that it happens in Michigan because no more than a month ago I walked in on my sister and her friends talking about how they were choking themselves at someone’s house. I talked to her about it and she said it’s just something they do to have fun and feel good. I personally feel that this needs to be brought to the schools and parent’s attention that their children need to know there are safer ways to have fun than by choking themselves.

darci

Back to top Go down

Choking Game Empty Re: Choking Game

Post  Toby Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:38 pm

wow that is really scary. using chokes to get some kind of high, Im just surprised more people havent died from this sick twisted game. Where do these kids come up with this kind of stuff, Im 18 and havent heard of anything like that. It sounds barbaric. There ought to be a law against this kind of thing but it would be so easy to break it, so theres almost really nothing that can be done except to keep a better eye on the kids thats playing this sick cruel game....wow still cant believe the barbaric torture people can put themselfs through to get pleasure.

Toby

Back to top Go down

Choking Game Empty Choking Game

Post  Andrew Abeare Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:49 pm

It kind of makes me wonder if this will get worse in the future, but this is the first time I’ve ever heard about this so hopefully it stays uncommon. It’s crazy what kids will do for fun, but when I was a kid I always assumed that cutting off blood flow to your brain was a bad thing. No one had to tell me or anything, it’s just common sense. I guess some of those kids lack common sense, and it makes me wonder what they will think of next to injure themselves if they get bored of choking.

Andrew Abeare

Back to top Go down

Post  salsagirl Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:28 pm

It is really amazing of what kids come up with these days! I never heard of this before but it definitely makes me worry. Kids nowadays need someone to preach them about this and make sure they realize how dangerous this game is. Wow…I really can not believe this, I wonder who came up with this idea, no matter how good it feels, it is not worth taking the risk of dying. I definitely agree with you on how it should be brought to schools and parents attention because that is where kids learn things from, home and school. An action should be taken very fast.

salsagirl

Back to top Go down

Choking Game Empty RE: Choking Game

Post  Eli Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:06 pm

I really think that its a pretty stupid idea to choke themselves and call it a game. Who ever came up or even thought about playing this game needs to be choked their selves. Who would choke their self and call it a game saying its fun and stopping their blood flow from circulating through their throat? All i have to say is, it takes a ediot to play that game and call it having fun when you are putting your life on the line just to have fun.

Eli

Back to top Go down

Post  Jnord Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:54 am

The weird thing is, is my buddy showed me this game in like 8th grade or even before. We still played it up until my sophomore year in high school. You would hold their throat until they passed out and then they would be out for like 10 seconds or so and then they come back and they were fine.
Looking back on it the game looks really stupid but at the time it was a rush and it was fun. No one in my school died from it so I guess we really didn’t do any harm. But I did not no it was such a rising concern in the U.S

Jnord

Back to top Go down

Post  kmouser Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:58 am

I used to watch the kids do this in the locker room before football practice in the 8th grade. it was the funniest thing i had ever seen. but i never saw any danger in it. i never did it because i thought you would have to be a moron to choke yourself out. I remember seeing my friend get choked out and the choker dropped him and his head bounced off the floor and the other football players and myself stated laughing because it looked like he was having a seizure. Good times.

kmouser

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum